My family loves bananas, I can’t keep them in the house. Between four teenagers and a two year old any food goes pretty fast around here but, especially bananas. So I buy them 3 and 4 bunches at a time. While I was out shopping the other day the grocery store had several bunches red taped because they were starting to turn, and I thought GREAT! My kids go through them so fast they wont have time to go bad, and I bought four bunches at a a significantly reduced price, It absolutely made my day! As, I’ve said before I love a sale of any kind and any way I can save a dollar. Well, as It turns out all of my teenagers had plans for the weekend that they conveniently didn’t tell me about until the last minute, as in AFTER I bought enough bananas to keep a family of chimpanzees well fed for a few days. And as much as my two year old loves bananas even he couldn’t finish them all before they would be completely bad. I know, I know I could have frozen them but I thought I would make banana bread instead. So the first to loaves of bread I made just wasn’t that great. It didn’t really have much of a banana flavor and it was kinda dry, I just wasn’t impressed. And since I still had an abundance of bananas to experiment with I kept going. Next I added more bananas to the batter, then I tried using browns sugar instead of white and finally I added a streusel topping. By the end of the weekend I had developed the best banana bread I have ever had. It is super moist, with a nice banana flavor it gets from four bananas added to the batter, topped with a cinnamon and browns sugar streusel topping it is so good really! Now, not only do my older kids go through bananas faster than I can get them out of the grocery bag, this bread also doesn’t stand a chance in my house. however, my two year old won’t touch it. Meh, oh well, can’t win em all. Ya’ll try it and let me know what you think.
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 very ripe bananas peeled and mashed
- 3 large eggs at room temp.
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- STREUSEL TOPPING
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temp.
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour two loaf pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar, add in the eggs one a time and mixing after each addition, add bananas and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- In another med sized mixing bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix on med speed until well incorporated. Divide batter evenly between the two loaf pans, top each pan of batter with the streusel topping and pat down lightly, place both pans on center rack in preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Take bread from oven and let cool in pans for 20 minutes before turning out onto serving plate. Slice and serve.
- place all ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl and work between your fingertips until mixture resembles wet sand. Sprinkle evenly over both loaves of bread, pat down lightly and bake.